Oslob has become known all over the world now, not for it’s beautiful blue water or beaches, but rather the gentle giants that swim along those beaches. Tourists both locally and internationally come to Oslob to swim in the water with these beautiful sea creatures.
While it still remains quite controversial, it definitely was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life so far.
Going there is easy and can be done via multiple different ways.
How to get to Oslob
Getting to Oslob is easy from either Cebu or Dumaguete (Philippines), however, you need to ensure you wake up very early so you get there by 6AM.
The whale shark feeding starts by sunrise and if you don’t arrive until late morning it will already be too packed and often you will not be able to see them any longer.
From Cebu City
If you’re coming from Cebu, it’s easy to take the bus.
- Terminal: Cebu South Bus Terminal. The terminal is beside Elizabeth Mall
- Details: There are buses leaving every 30 minutes to go to Oslob so don’t worry about not getting a ride. I suggest to get the 3:30AM Bus as it is a 3 hour ride to Oslob from Cebu.
- Fare: P155 (USD: $3.00)
Going to Oslob from Dumaguete is very easy as well but you will need to take the boat across to the other island first. Here’s the full details:
- Terminal: Sibulan Port, Dumaguete.
- From Dumaguete airport, hire a tricycle to take you to Sibulan Port. Special trips will most likely cost somewhere between P60-P100 ($1-2 USD). Travel time is only 10 minutes to the port.
- From Sibulan Port you will purchase tickets to go to Liloan Liloan Port at the south of Cebu (literally just across the water from you).
- Once you step out of Liloan port there will be buses waiting to take passengers north to Cebu and Oslob. Inform the driver that you will be going to Oslob. It is about a 40 minute bus ride to Oslob for just P30.
- Fare: total is P192($4USD)
If you’ll be driving, it’s pretty much one road all the way down the coast to get there. Here’s an easy link to Google Maps that you can use:
If you want a car to take you there with a driver, you can always book using 12Go – just enter Cebu and Oslob in the search bar below.
Swimming with the Whale Sharks
Checkout my full guide here if you plan on swimming with the Whale Sharks or visiting the Tumalog Falls.